SARSON SAUNF MIRCH ACHAAR (CHILLI PICKLE WITH MUSTARTD & FENNEL SEEDS)
This pickle is prepared with mere five ingredientsand total preparation time is less than 15 minutes. It is the simplest spiced pickle and as delicious as other pickles full of spices in it.
You can have your chapatti/parantha solely with these chillies, without any vegetables or curries. Mere chillies on the chapatti will make you happy. These chillies are not veryhot, ratherhave amild flavour of their ownand absorb the flavour and goodness of mustard & fennel seeds.
INGREDIENTS FOR PICKLE :
Pickle Chilli (Red or Green) 500 gms
Mustard Oil 60 gms
Small Mustard Seeds 40 gms
Fennel Seeds 10 gms
Salt 70 gms
- Wash the chillies in fresh water.
- Wipe themwith a clean kitchen cloth and dry in sunlight for about half an hour,to get rid of any leftover moisture on the stems.
- Grind mustard seeds and fennel seeds together in a blender to make a coarse powder (Do not blend to extra fine powder) and mix salt with this blended mixture.
- Now slit all the chillies (Make a cut in chilly with knife to fill the powdered spice)
- Fill the mixture of salt, mustard seeds and fennel seeds in all the chillies using hand or spoon and press a little.
- Keep some mixture aside to sprinkle on chillies pickle after cooking process – approx. 4 spoons
Heat mustard oil in a Kadahi on high flame. Let it heat for one more minute after you notice the smoke coming out of it When the oil is properly smoked, turn off the flame and allow the temperature to come down(do not put chillies in very hot oil as it will give burnt spots).
When the temperature is down and still the oil is hot, add filled chillies to it. Toss gently with a spatula for a minute. When you see all the chilies coated in oil, sprinkle the leftover spice mix powder to it.
Let the pickle cool for 20 – 30 minutes and fill it in a clean and dry glass jar. Let it be at room temperature for 3-4 days and the pickle is ready (Though it can be consumed very next day, but little fermentation will enhance the flavours and taste)
This pickle can be stored for a month so make only small quantities for your family.